Have you been searching for a delicious and easy air fryer chicken recipe with minimal ingredients? Look no further than our lemon pepper chicken drumsticks recipe! This dish is budget-friendly, simple to make, and incredibly tasty. Plus, it’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps of making this dish in your air fryer. We’ll also answer some of the most commonly asked questions about cooking lemon pepper chicken legs. So let’s get started!
This recipe can be prepared and cooked in less than 30 minutes and doesn’t require and time to marinate, so it’s perfect for busy families. The chicken drumsticks are coated in a lemon pepper seasoning, which gives it a nice zesty flavor. If you’re looking for a bit more of a kick, you can always add more pepper.
One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s very versatile. You can serve it with a side of rice and vegetables, or you can eat it as is. And, if you’re feeling really ambitious, you can even make your own lemon pepper seasoning.
So, what are you waiting for? Give our air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks recipe a try today!
What You’ll Need To Make Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- 5-6 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbs lemon pepper seasoning (we’ll show you how to make it from scratch below)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lemon
How To Make Your Own Lemon Pepper Seasoning
If you don’t have lemon pepper seasoning on-hand, fear not! It’s easy to put together with some pantry staples so you can save yourself a trip to the grocery store.
Here’s how to make your own homemade lemon pepper seasoning:
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and store in a jar or container.
Why Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks Are A Great Option If You’re On A Budget
Not only is this recipe easy and quick to make, but it’s also very affordable. Chicken drumsticks are usually one of the cheaper cuts of chicken, and when you make them at home, you can save even more money. As an added benefit, this recipe doesn’t have many ingredients – making it even more budget-friendly.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious and budget-friendly recipe, look no further than our air fryer lemon pepper chicken drumsticks! Just pair it with a cheap side dish and you’re good to go!
Another great frugal option is our Easy Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast so be sure to check it out if you’re looking for more great, cheap meals.
Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- Air fryer
- Meat thermometer
- Paper towels
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 6 chicken drumsticks skin on
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ lemon
- Pre-heat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Coat the chicken drumsticks with melted butter. You can also use a zero calorie cooking spray to make the drumsticks more lean.
- Squeeze the lemon juice onto the drumsticks.
- Sprinkle the drumsticks with salt and pepper.
- Place the drumsticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook on 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer.
- Flip the drumsticks, sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning, and place back onto the air fryer for 3-5 minutes depending on your desired crispy-ness.
- Use a meat thermometer to confirm that the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit and then serve immediately.
- If you don’t have a lemon pepper seasoning, you can easily make your own.To make your own lemon pepper seasoning, mix together: lemon zest, salt, pepper, thyme, basil, and onion powder.
- If you want to reduce the fat in this recipe, feel free to remove the skin from the chicken drumsticks.
- Ensure that you check the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit at the thickest part of the drumstick before consuming.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Can I use other cuts of chicken, such as chicken breast or chicken wings, for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use any type of chicken for this recipe. However, the cooking time may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken pieces. We prefer drumsticks because they’re juicy and flavorful, but chicken thighs are also a good option. Chicken breasts can work too, but it will be more dry because of the lower fat content.
Q: Can I make this recipe in advance?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe up to 24 hours in advance. Simply prepare the chicken according to the recipe instructions and store in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. When you’re ready to eat, simply cook the chicken in the air fryer according to the recipe instructions.
Q: What should I serve this lemon pepper chicken with?
A: These lemon pepper drumsticks are delicious on their own, but they are also great with a side of rice and vegetables. You could also serve them with a salad or some roasted potatoes. This recipe has simple, fresh flavors that would suit a variety of side dishes.
Q: I don’t have an air fryer. Can I make this recipe in the oven?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If cooking in the oven, we suggest using a baking dish or large roasting pan to contain the juices.
Q: How do I reheat leftover chicken?
A: Leftover chicken can be reheated in the air fryer, oven, or microwave. We prefer the air fryer because it gives the chicken a nice crispy skin. To reheat in the air fryer, simply cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes until heated through. You can also reheat in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or in the microwave. If using the microwave, we recommend reheating for 30 seconds to one minute, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
Q: Can I make this recipe with other seasonings?
A: Yes, you can definitely experiment with other seasonings. Some other options include garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, or Italian seasoning. You can also add some honey for a touch of sweetness. Simply mix together the seasonings of your choice and sprinkle over the chicken before cooking.
Q: Can I use fresh lemon juice or lemon rind instead of lemon pepper seasoning?
A: Yes, you can use more fresh lemon juice instead of the lemon pepper seasoning. Simply drizzle the chicken with fresh lemon juice before cooking. If using the lemon rind, we recommend grating it over the chicken after cooking. This will give the chicken a nice zesty flavor.
Q: Which air fryer do you recommend?
We love the GoWISE USA 7-Quart Electric Air Fryer. This air fryer is large enough to cook a whole chicken or multiple servings at once. It also has a variety of features, such as a digital touchscreen display and an automatic shut-off function. This air fryer is also very affordable, making it a great option for budget-conscious shoppers.